Thursday, September 10, 2009

Zero Dinero


Like everyone else I've been stressed about money lately and decided it is time to STOP spending mindlessly and make a plan...I have not yet fully formed that plan(I'll let you know when I get it figured out)but my first order of business was to put the smack down on spending. I decided on a "Zero Dinero" week. That is, pay the bills, buy groceries , fill up with gas and then spend ZERO money out of our bank account for 1 week. I did have 24$ cash and a bucket of change(which BJ has already raided)but it is now Thursday and I still have 18$ in my wallet and the bank account is untouched! We have been eating at home and coming up with creative ways to entertain ourselves and without the option of spending money we have actually been getting lots done around the house. Realistically I know that we still have lots of work to do to get out of debt but I feel like this is a start. If we can make little changes, we can make big changes...right?
Heatlhy eating is also part of my plan to save. Sooo...with no money and a hankerin for something sweet I threw together some 'cookies' made with no butter, no sugar and no eggs!
they turned out GREAT, they are not really 'cookies' per say, more of a soft chewy nutty texture than a cookie but really really good, and sorta healthy, minus the white chocolate chips.

Banana Oatmeal Goodness
3 over ripe bananas
2 tablespoons vanilla
1/4 olive oil
2 table spoons honey
2 cups quick oats(I used 1 cup oats and 1 cup granola cereal we had in the pantry)
1/3 cup white or wheat flour
2/3 cup chopped nuts(I used some peanut sundae topping and some chopped almonds)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup chocolate chips(I bet semisweet chocolate would be better than the white I used)
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl mash together bananas, oil, honey,and vanilla
In another bowl mix together dry ingredients and add slowly to wet mixture folding until everything is combined
Mixture is loose, scoop heaping spoonfuls onto lightly greased pan and bake for about 12 minutes.
Do not under cook or they will fall apart.
I think next time I make these I'll spread the mixture out evenly in a pan and cut them into bars after they cool.
SOOOO good!

No comments: